Sunday, May 17, 2020

If you were depressed, would you want people to find out, or would you want to keep it a secret?

Okay, more specific. Would you want your colleague to know about your depression?

I am new at this place. My team is small. Only 8 people.
There's this girl who is not herself lately.

Well, I am not too affected by it because I thought that's how she is. I don't know how she was before. I don't mind her being distant, quiet and moody, because well, I really don't care as long as nobody disturbs me.

The others started talking about her.
Why is she like that? Did we do something wrong to her?
But, when it  goes on and on, they started to get annoyed.
Why is she like that? She should get a husband. She should find someone who can stand her behaviour.

Anyway, I really can't comment. I just listened.

But, I accidentally saw her records. She has depression and anxiety, and she's on meds. Aahhh...That explains it. There is something wrong with her, but she doesn't do it on purpose (because really, who wants to be depressed?)

I witnessed her becoming anxious one time. She was sitting at her desk, when she suddenly couldn't breath and her hands felt numb. I managed to ask her, and she told me that she panicked.
A few days later, she told me that she was thinking about our colleague's father who recently passed away, maybe she imagined the same would happen to her.

I thought it was best to let the others know. So that we go easy on her.

I have a soft spot for mental illness because so many stigma about it, I feel like I have a responsibility to be extra supportive.

Anyway, I told my other colleagues about her condition
- it's not her fault that she is depressed. And the most important thing is, she recognized that she is not being herself and she is actually getting professional help for herself
- so, maybe, we can show more empathy towards her and don't stress her out so much

That night, I received a text from her closest friend in the department: Please keep this a secret. Don't tell anyone else.

I was a little bit offended. I mean, did he think the reason I told people was to humiliate this girl? No, I want we all to leave her alone. Stop asking why is she like this and like that. There's no answer, she is just depressed. Tapi sekarang, my niat telah disalah ertikan.

Salahke I?
Should I ask her first before disclosing this information?
I really thought if we all knew, we could help her feel better...

1 comment:

Dils said...

Honestly I wouldn't want my colleagues to know about it. Some may twist it around and spread even more malicious rumours about it and it will gives me anxiety what people will talk about i guess.

I guess you have the best intention but it is up to the person if she wants it to be told I guess. I hope she will be doing better.