Monday, April 20, 2020

I have to confess-
The only reasons why I watched Dunkirk
One: I was bored, not that many movies that attract my interest
Two: Found out Harry Styles acted in it. Like what, since when did he become a professional actor?

Hahaha...I know, I know, I am lame. I am busy with work and my family and I stopped following celebrity news a long time ago.

Anyway, I hate war movies. I find them boring. Like, Saving Private Ryan, or any other serious war movies I had watched.

Once, in University, I watched this war movie, I can't remember what it was called, but it was so boring. The only thing I remember was saying- Well, this is the first movie I that I watch with no women in it. No romance or kissing too.

I expected the same for Dunkirk. It took me 2 days to finish watching the film. The first half was boring, maybe because I was still getting used to the storyline and figuring out who's who. Like, who is French, who is British? Mind you, I watched it even without the synopsis or trailers.

So, yeah, first half of the movie was boring and I was getting sleepy. I actually contemplated whether to continue watching the second half. But because I didn't get enough of Harry, what the hell, just finish the movie. True story.

But tonight was different. I cried watching that film. Because by now, I can feel their desperation and fear, how uncertain life is, I understand how the father feels. I also noticed the soundtracks by the incredible Hans Zimmer, and how the sounds actually build up the suspense. Genius, don't you think? He consistently delivers, if not all, at least for the past 10 years or so...

And it's a film by Christopher Nolan. He's an amazing director. All of sudden, I now appreciate the director. He managed to make a war movie to be emotional and interesting, in a tasteful way too. No light comedies, no ramance, no inspiring dialogues...Yup, not much talking in this one.

In summary, I am surprised that I did enjoy it. Maybe, it's because I am older and I am now able to appreciate the little details. Like, I can see myself, 60 years in the future talking about today's war against COVID-19. If my 20 year-old self watched it, I am pretty sure she would think it's boring. I had different views and priorities then.


No comments: