Friday, September 9, 2016

Tiba-tiba banyak pula idea nak tulis.

I don't know about you guys, but I love being underestimated. Yeah, go on, underestimate me, then I will deliver and you will be surprised.

I think, the more mature I am, the more humble I become. When I was younger, I wanted to show off, but not anymore. Now, I prefer to shy away from the limelight. Benarlah pepatah ikut resmi padi, makin berisi, semakin tunduk. Dulu masa muda, kosong je...Hehe.

When I see distant relatives or my husband's friends, I very rarely talk about my job, except when asked. Even when asked, I sometimes give them a general answer, like, the place where I work instead.

Actually, it is not so much of being humble (perasan humble je lebih, hehe) but also to avoid conversation about my job. I'd rather leave work during working hours.

Even among other departments, I like to be the ordinary, unknown person. In fact, I look up to my bosses who appear to be so plain, but when you hear them talk- boom!

I guess nowadays, I value presence and personality, some kind of 'isi tersirat' rather than 'tersurat'. It's like a secret code, only those who know will know what you are made of. Don't really care if people don't know, won't make much difference.

Or, perhaps, because I was in that position before, when I was younger, trying to establish myself, I understand, so I always give them chance to enjoy the moment, while I pretend to be impressed.

Luckily, I was not always like that even when I was younger. Haha. This is true story. I remember, I let my good friend in university finish a gossip. I just listened and let her enjoy the story telling. Because she knew me well enough, at the end, she asked, "You dah tau eh cerita ni? Kalau you dah tahu, kenapa you biar I cerita macam you belum tahu! Penat tau I cakap."

"Sebab, you nampak excited sangat. Tak sampai hati nak potong cakap you. Lagipun, I want to know whether cerita you sama tak dengan cerita I."

Anyway, why I am telling you this is because I have a friend on Facebook who feels like she has to prove that she is more than a housewife, or stay-at-home mom, whatever term you prefer, really, why are people getting more and more sensitive!

Every now and then, she posted status like:

Orang pandang saya macam tak ada duit. Ye lah, saya pergi shopping bawa dua orang anak, tak ada salesgirl nak layan. Dia ingat, saya ni hanya seorang surirumah.

Siapa kata surirumah macam saya tiada visi dan misi.

Dalam masa 5 tahun, saya berjanji saya akan mengembangkan bisnes saya ke pasaran antarabangsa.

Lihatlah saya sekarang. Dulu, ramai mengeji. Mereka memperkenalkan saya sebagai seorang surirumah yang tidak bekerja. Saya tidak ada gaji tetap. Bla bla bla...

Okay, so she now owns a label. Good for her. Really, I am happy, I think her products are pretty. Her business is doing quite well.

But, it makes me wonder, do people really look down on housewives? Personally, I never think housewives are lame, Mother was a housewife and I wanna be one- I just could not be one. During my time, most of my friends' mothers are housewives too!

Secondly, the fact that she wrote: orang pandang saya macam tak ada duit...
Well, I enjoy people underestimating me, don't you?

I suka dengar cerita Pak Haji pergi masjid berjalan kaki. Tapi bawa beg plastik berisi cash RM25k untuk diderma- true story.

I juga suka dengar cerita suami isteri pergi ke kedai kereta, bertanya harga, kemudian bercakap dengan nada hampa- ala, mahalnya...Kalau boleh, buat aksi lagi jakun lagi bagus, asking all sorts of free gifts. Tapi, terus beli kereta dalam masa dua hari, siap bayar cash, sampai salesman tu kunci pintu dan cakap- saya tak pernah memegang duit sebanyak ini.

Ya...Itu yang saya mahu, exceeding your expectations! The more you underestimate me, the easier it is to surprise you.

The good thing about this is...I end up always overestimating people, hence I rarely look down on people. You never know!

I rasa, people who want others to know about themselves, actually have problems with their confidence level. Ataupun, it is all only in your head. Takde orang mengutuk mengeji pun...Entah-entah, you tu je yang mudah terasa.

Tapi, kalau betul ada orang pandang rendah pada dia, I hope she gets her sweet revenge.

2 comments:

Dils said...

Actually yes. A lot of people think housewives are dumb, and when I was unemployed for a few months and someone actually saida statement that very heavily implied that because I don't work my opinion doesn't matters.

So I got why a lot of housewives became defensive and felt like they have to do more.

Hampshire Mummy said...

I personally experienced being "irrelevant" during SAHM days and being "credible" after WAHM. Took me some real courage to face this ugly truth/judgment from society. Luckily, I have toughened up over the years and value my self-worth and self-esteem (and learnt the skill to ignore the shallow/judmental strangers).